Monday, October 13, 2014

A Perfect Day

Yesterday was the perfect day.

I didn’t win the lottery or weigh in 10 lbs under, there were no great discoveries, nothing grand or spectacular…..but still as perfect as a Sunday can get.

I woke up and went to my Bar Method class. Starting the day off right, feeling strong and inspired in my recommitment to my body….for myself, for my future, for baby Frieman (whenever he or she may come along). Then home to my husband for coffee and the Packers game. At half time we met friends for a spectacular brunch for dear sweet Kate’s birthday, where got to celebrate her life as we watched the Packers win in the last 6 seconds of the game. Then off to my dear friend Jenn’s house for some long overdue girl time. Curled up on the bed with my girls talking about life and love. Though there are hard times about and we’re all dealing with things, it’s still feels good to be there with and for my friends.

But wait…there’s more! In the late afternoon, my husband and I left to drive down to Orange County for friendship and music. The entire way down the sun was spilling through the car window and flooding my face with warmth. I couldn’t stop grinning. We met our friends Adam and Adrienne, who Mike and I have decided is the couple we should grow old with, for dinner and Dawes. 

If you know me at all, you know that I am very passionate about Dawes’ music. I can’t even start going into it now, because this post will be six thousand words and I will most likely sound like a crazy person…..but if you don’t know them, stop what you’re doing right now and go listen. DO IT!

If there is ever a way to end a perfect day, it’s by seeing your favorite band play in a very small, intimate setting. To hear new songs and old favorites surrounded by people you love. Having not a single tall guy stand in front of you and a direct line of sight to the band that plays the music that speaks to you, that your heart understands, the music that makes everything ok. I felt like I was in on a secret. That they were playing just for me. And they were, I guess. In a way.

And then they close with my favorite song. A song that has been there for me in sad times, in angry times, and, in that moment last night, a blissfully happy time. There’s really no feeling in the world like hearing your favorite song played live. Just nothing like it.

I was beaming. So much so that my mouth hurt from smiling.

With the exception of the dinner restaurant not having pickles...(You sell burgers, guy. Buy  a jar of pickles! Come on, man!)....It was the perfect day. 

Nothing made the earth move. I didn’t answer any cosmic questions.

It was just a day. A day spent with my husband, who I am madly in love with. A day spent celebrating friends and comforting friends, a day spent eating, laughing, and dancing with friends. A day of good food, incredible soul-speaking music, and falling asleep in the arms of the one I love. A very simple….but perfect….day. 



And this all leads me to believe that we have more perfect days than we probably realize. We just need to be open to them. We just have to be grateful for the moments we have with the people we love. To fully embrace the things that bring you joy and let them flood you from the bottom to the top. Too often we let worry or fear or aggravations flood us, we let them fill every crevice so that there is no room left for happiness and gratitude. And too often I have let worry about tomorrow cause me to miss what could have been a perfect day today.

Life is hard. Things can be terrible. So grab every minute of joy that you can. Be open. Be grateful.This just might be a perfect day.



I am grateful for this day and all the love that I have found in it. I hope you are too.




Foot note: Oh...the song? My favorite song? Dawes: A Little Bit of Everything. Maybe give it a listen. Or it may find you when you need it most.

I’ll leave you with a quote from the song….


Oh, it's a little bit of everything
It's the matador and the bull
It's the suggested daily dosage
It is the red moon when it's full

All these psychics and these doctors
They're all right and they're all wrong
It's like trying to make out every word
When they should simply hum along

It's not some message written in the dark
Or some truth that no one's seen
It's a little bit of everything

No comments:

Post a Comment